Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Tutu and his light

Reaching the age of 11 in Kasongo is not easy. Malaria, the lack of food, of doctors, of transport, of light…. The filthy life conditions prevent many children from reaching adulthood.

But if the one that wants to reach it is albino, the task turns out even more arduous.

Not only are they more prone to eye problems, blindness and skin cancer. They are also killed as their body parts are considered precious witchcraft articles. Even their graves are dug out to turn their extinct hands and feet, into macabre trophies.

Tutu was a survivor.

He came to me one sunny day, while I walked in the red paths of Kasongo.

His eyes were sunk and his gaze lost. His hair was dirty of a white and reddish colour. His skin was dusty, singed, crumpled like the skin of an old man.

Full of shyness, he asked me for money.

I told him that if I gave him money, I would need to give money to all the other kids of Kasongo.

- It is to buy a pair of sunglasses and prevent me from becoming blind.

- How much are they?

- 1 $ (1000 Francs)

I took two dirty bills of 500 Francs and gave them to him.

- But I want you to come back and show me your glasses, ok?

He left like a lighting and came back like a lightning after 30 minutes, with a huge pair of sunglasses and an even bigger smile on his face.

Since that day he waited in front of the house after lunch, day after day. And he did not say a word to me, but smiled to me, and I smiled to him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mooi hoot lieverd!

HB