Tuesday, December 07, 2010

The soul polisher

-I am the official shoe polisher of Kasongo, may I? I looked down to my battered buddies that had shared with me adventures and gambles for 6 years.

- But these are flip flops – I said

- Well, can I come tomorrow then?

He only had black paint in the little wooden box and the clearest gaze I had ever seen, full of illusion.

- I am the official shoe polisher of Kasongo, may I?

- I looked down to my white running shoes.

-But they are while…

- Ok then, can I come tomorrow?

-----

- I am the official shoe polisher of Kasongo, may I?

- But today it has rained so much, the roads are muddy and if you clean my shoes they will become dirty again …

- He looked down, with a sad and lonely face. Then, suddenly he looked up with those eyes of honey and said full of enthusiasm:

- If they get dirty today, I will come back tomorrow and clean them again. May I?

- In that case…- I said melted – What is your name?

- My name is Nasser, it means the ‘Triumphant’, and I am the official shoe polisher of Kasongo. I am 11 years old and with the money I get from polishing shoes I help my mother pay my school, may I?

And with his little hands of ebony, he took my ankle with tenderness, and started to dust off my shoes, and my soul.

3 comments:

jan w.b. said...

It's a fine little story full of tenderness and wisdom in the writer and in the schoolboy.

Anonymous said...

Maria, a lovely story that warms the soul... Miss you and hope to catch up soon! paul z.

Anonymous said...

a gentle gaze at humanity, when its easier to become innocuous